One of the biggest questions as a guest attending a wedding: what's the dress code and what should I wear as my wedding guest outfit? You find yourself texting friends and family to see what they are planning to wear so you aren't over dressed or under dressed.
First, it is important to determine what kind of wedding you are attending. Generally the invite will specify a requested dress code, but sometimes they don't. Here are a few different types of weddings you might be invited to:
1. Wedding Guest Outfit - Casual/Outdoor. Casual or outdoor weddings are one of the biggest trends we have seen over the last few years. It's the whole Pinterest style, mason jar, hand crafted feel and it's so much fun. For these weddings, a simple summer dress is perfect to wear.
2. Wedding Guest Outfit - Semiformal. Semiformal weddings are the most traditional style. If the invitation doesn't specify, typically semiformal attire is appropriate for a church wedding.
3. Wedding Guest Outfit - Formal. Formal weddings can also take place in a church, but are very common in Chicago or other big cities. For formal weddings, you will typically see more cocktail style, designer dresses of some kind.
4. Wedding Guest Outfit - Black Tie. It may not seem like there is a huge difference between formal weddings and black tie, but typically for black tie weddings you will see floor length dresses and tuxedos. The evening gowns are typically darker colors like wine, navy, or black.
As a guest here is what you should know when selecting a wedding guest outfit:
- Know what kind of wedding you will be attending.
- Absolutely NO WHITE of any kind. Avoid ivory, champagne, and basically anything in the white family. Let the bride stand out on her special day.
- Florals are a good go to for weddings especially in the summer.
- Check the weather a few days before. If it is an outdoor wedding, you want to be prepared for hot, cold, rain, etc.
- Nothing too short or revealing. Keep is classy no matter what type of wedding it is.
- Make sure you have comfortable (but still dressy) shoes. You will want to dance the night away.
So still wondering what to wear? I've put together a few of my favorite looks for you below.
Black Tie Wedding
If you are attending a wedding this summer have so much fun! Hopefully this guide will be helpful to you in knowing what to wear.