If you are from Indiana or don't live under a rock, you know that the month of May is absolutely thrilling for Hoosiers. Over Memorial Day weekend, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway hosts the Greatest Spectacle in Racing and arguably, one of the most exciting sports of all time.
I absolutely love the Indy 500 and all of the events that go along with it. I've grown up going to the race with my family and the speedway holds some of my best memories with my family. Here's 5 reasons you need to go to the race this year:
- It's the 100th running of the 500. Although the first race was in 1911, the 500 did not run during World War II (1942-1945). If you've never been to the race, this is the year to go because of everything the IMS and 500 Festival are doing to make this the most exciting year yet.
- Watching 33 cars race each other at over 200 mph is exhilarating. The amount of strength it takes for these drivers to race 200 laps is unreal. In my opinion, sitting in turn 2 is the most exciting because you can usually see so much of the passing (and unfortunately accidents, too). It's honestly so hard to explain how cool this sport is to watch.
- You can literally feel the history all around you at the speedway. A lot of the drivers have racing in their blood. Take the Andretti family for example. Just take a walk through the museum at the speedway to see how the 500 has changed over the years.
- If you love tradition, this race is for you. When Mary Hulman-George speaks those famous words, it literally brings tears to my eyes. I'm going to miss Jim Nabors this year, but think Josh Kaufman is a great replacement. If you've never been and don't know what I am talking about... BUY A TICKET NOW!
- Black and white looks great on everyone. Okay so one of these had to be about fashion. If my 89-year-old grandma could go to the race, she would wear a big hat, her checkered scarf, probably a designer dress of sorts, and heels. I so wish the fashion was still like this, but wearing some form of black and white is a little more acceptable.
In 2014 I had the opportunity to be a 500 Festival Princess and I loved serving Indianapolis through this program. Race weekend was my absolute favorite and standing above Victory Circle as Ryan Hunter-Reay was unbelievable.
As an Indy-native going to the Indy 500 is an event I look forward to every year and you just have to go to understand what it's all about.